By Roger Wilco’s Wine Guy and Somm, Jimmy Quaile.
Wine makes the perfect gift for a number of reasons. You can buy a good bottle to fit any budget. It has a wide age-range appeal. It’s the perfect “emergency” gift to have on hand in case you forgot someone and yet enjoy yourself if you covered all your bases. And lastly, one size fits all and doubles are fine! So whether you are invited to a holiday party, a cookie exchange, or hosting your in-laws, wine is undoubtably the perfect choice. Here are a few categories and the wines that fit the bill.
Last Minute ~ $10 & Under
- Columbia Crest Gold 2014 – $9.98: Limited release red blend from the premier Washington State winery. An absolute steel!
- Loosen Dr. L. Riesling 2014 – $8.98: Consistently our most popular Riesling. A true crowd pleaser!
The Holiday Party: ~$15 & Under
- Louis M. Martini Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2014 – $14.98: “One of the best values in Cabernet in the world!” – Robert Parker
- Mionetto Gran Rosé Prosecco Extra Dry – $12.98: Perfectly balanced sparkling wine from the DOCG region of Valdobbiadene. 92 Points – Decanter.
The Pollyanna: ~$20 & Under
- Hahn S.L.H. Pinot Noir 2014 – $18.98: Red cherry, ripe strawberry, cola, and spice. 92 Points – Wine Spectator.
- Loveblock Sauvignon Blanc 2015 – $17.98: From iconic producer Kim Crawford. The perfect Sushi wine.
The Boss: ~$40 & Under
- Hall Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 – $39.98: The perfect expression of the perfect vintage. Wine Advocate 97 Points!
- Stags’ Leap The Investor 2013 – $39.98: 38% Merlot, 32% Petite Sirah, 18% Cab, and 12% Malbec
The Collector: ~$50 & Under
- Orin Swift Machete Red Blend 2014 – $59.98: Wine Spectator, Top 100 Number 6!
- Chateau Sociando-Malley 2011 – $46.99: Bordeaux from Medoc that’s ready to drink. 91 Points Parker.
Someone Special: ~$50 & Over
- Caymus Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 2014 – $65.98: The Ultimate “New World” wine. A Superstar of Cabernet!
- Berlinger Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 – $64.99: One of the most critically acclaimed wines in the past 10 years. 94 Parker, 94 Wine Spectator, 95 Vinous. Incredible!